[IVFDF] Re: size

Adam Hughes ajh at cambridgesiliconradio.com
Thu Apr 20 19:41:33 BST 2000

ALASDAIR GRAY wrote:
> My point was has IVFDF grown too big, and who has made
> this happen?

Having spoken to people who went to some one day IVFDF's in the late
sixties, they involved travelling either at 5 in the morning, dancing
all day, and getting home at about 3am, or sleeping rough or in the car
or with friends near the venue.  I haven't spoken to anyone who went to
an IVFDF by public transport (in that period).  I haven't spoken to
anyone who travelled more than 200 miles (ie 4-5 hours drive).

I wait to be corrected, but I imagine IVFDF grew to be a weekend event
because it always took a weekend for people coming a long way, and so
the organisers arranged dancing on the Friday night/Sunday morning for
people who were more local.

Whether the festival goes to one day or remains a whole weekend, the
problem of sleeping arrangements will still haunt it.  Unless we just
ignore the fact that the last two IVFDF's were 450 miles apart...

I think most people in the Britain these days would draw the line at
sleeping rough, or even in their car in most city centres...  Most
students are young, but not foolish.  If the festival was to cut down in
size enough, fitting the visitors into a few houses might be possible,
but would it be worth it?

Drawing a parallel from a time when the Festival was small and growing
is not necessarily going to give us ideas of how to deal with this phase
of IVFDF's existence, where it is moderate to large and shrinking.  Do
we want to limit the festival to the nutters out there who would drive
into the night, sleep rough, dance in the rain though the centre of
Manchester, sleep rough in wet clothes, and then drive home?  I think
we'd lose more students than non-students.

Adam

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: ajh.vcf
-- Desc: Card for Adam Hughes