[IVFDF] Re: venue

Ian Thompson I.M.Thompson at newcastle.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 00:04:35 BST 2000

>On the note of "Can IVFDF be hosted at a non university town?" also bring
>into question who organises IVFDF. The ideal place for a student society
>host IVFDF is at the union as it is easy to get to and easy to sort out
and
>book (instead of visiting a lot of independent halls).

This assumes that Student Unions are easier (either adminstratively or
finacially) for "student" societies to book when cf. independant halls. I
suspect that there won't actually be much difference now that unions are
charging commercial hire prices.

I understand (I was doing 'A' levels at the time) that in 1990 when
Newcastle hosted IVFDF they used a combination of the Union and the Civic
Centre (independant hall of similiar size to Hunters Hall for those at
IVFDF2000). However, the cost of hiring this hall these days would be
prohibative (and anyway the city council in their infinite wisdom have
nailed the carpet to the sprung wooden floor down so that the dance floor
is severly limited !)

>For a student society to try and organise a big event like IVFDF in a
>foreign town is a LOT of work and it would involve a lot of time
consuming
>travel.

Agreed, those of us who do not live in Glasgow who helped to organise
IVFDF2000 clocked up a lot of travel miles. In fact without a number of
key
local people doing the work on the ground at a local level we could not
have managed.

>A students' union is an ideal place to hold a lot of the events needed
for
>an IVFDF. They usually have a lot of different halls very close together.

This assumes that you can indeed *get* the Student Union to let you use
their halls, as various previous committees have found out this often
comes
with cavets and limitations, due to other functions that the union runs
(which bring in more money). It is important to remember that most unions
these days are run on a business footing as private members clubs and have
to break even/?make profit).

Just my 2p worth

Ian
[member of the IVFDF2000 organising crowd]
--
Dr. Ian M. Thompson, MBBS/PhD. Senior House Officer in Medicine,
Northumbria Helathcare NHS Trust, North Tyneside General Hospital, Rake

--
Posted to ivfdf-news - see  http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~ibb/ivfdf/
for details on how to [un]subscribe.