[IVFDF] Re: Content

Andrew Swaine aswaine at iname.com
Wed May 31 13:57:04 BST 2000

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Elizabeth Conder wrote:

> I have always loved the workshops and trying out new styles that I don't
> usually get a chance to do. I also think that a lunchbreak would be a
good
> idea so that people aren't torn between needing to eat and wanting to do
> another workshop.
>
> On the issue of the Saturday night dances - how about holding two types
of
> dance and alternating each year of the choice of dance (Scottish, formal
> English or Ceilidh). I have always (when possible) split my time 50:50
> between the ceilidh and one of the formal dances. Since there is always
> ceilidhs on the Friday night and Sunday afternoon, then maybe the
ceilidh
> element could be rethought. The only problem with removing a ceilidh
from
> the Saturday evening, is that many newbies to IVFDF might not have the
> knowledge to feel comfortable attending a formal dance - maybe having a
> workshop designed as a crash course to the formal dances might be a
> solution.

Just because there are workshops going on doesn't mean that you have to do
one -- not everybody is the same, and by running workshops over
lunch/dinner people have a greater choice over what workshops to do.  You
still end up doing the same number, it's just that you choose 3 slots from
4 instead of 3 from 3, or whatever.  If people want to skip a meal in
order to do a workshop, that's up to them.  You can fit more workshops in
this way, as the limiting factor is generally workshop venues.

Similarly with the Saturday ceilidh.  It's the most popular event during
the evening, and by a majority vote, therefore a good idea.  IVFDFs have
put a more formal dance on at the same time but it has never been as
popular.  Again it's a matter of choice, and if the majority want a
ceilidh, a ceilidh is what they get.

The only sensible way to have a successful non-ceilidh event on the
Saturday night is to organise something people will want to go to instead
of the ceilidh.  The Fiddlin' Around contra in Cambridge is generating a
lot of interest, and whilst I was at the ceilidh I'm told the contra in
Exeter was highly successful.  If having workshops to prepare them for it
helps then that's obviously a good idea.

I think you have to let people vote with their feet in general as it's the
only reliable way of taking account of everyone's views rather than just
those of the vocal minority.

Andrew.

--
Posted to ivfdf-news - see  http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~ibb/ivfdf/