[IVFDF] Re: Content

Mason, Richard Richard_Mason at multilex.com
Wed May 31 10:49:54 BST 2000

Whilst I agree with Pete that there are two opposing points of view, I
would
just like to make it clear that it is very definitely not a clear
'organisers' and 'attendees' divide.  I have organised the festival 3
times
now, and I guess am one of those responsible for making the festival
bigger.
Last year for instance we put on the big concert with the Oyster Band on
the
Friday night, which was a success and significantly increased the
attendance
at the festival.  If I get to organise it again , then I would certainly
look to do something similar again.

When planning a festival like IVFDF you obviously have to look at how to
appeal to the most people possible.  As has been said by many people in
this
discussion so far, those who have been to IVFDF before will probably come
again if there is sufficient incentive - ie good bands/workshops etc which
will guarantee at least some top class events.  However for most of those
for whom IVFDF is totally new, the names of the bands will probably not
mean
a great deal. Certainly at Exeter we have a high percentage of foreign
students and people brand new to folk, and the names of the bands probably
have little impact.  What does have an impact however is the enthusiasm of
those who have been before.  If the 'old timers' are saying that IVFDF is
great event, and the bands this year are really worth going to, then the
'newbies' will pick up on that and seriously consider going.  The main
obstacles then are simply time and price.

To summarise, in my view you need
1) Big names to attract the experienced crowd (both attached to
universities
and not)
2) Affordable tickets
3) A good selling job from the current committee and from the 'old timers'

I guess my criteria for whether I am putting on a good festival is to
prepare an advertising leaflet which can be distributed at other festivals
around the country.  If I can put that leaflet on a table next to leaflets
for lots of other festivals, and the 'Big Names' Vs Cost equation
obviously
stacks up well, then I know that my festival will probably succeed.  If
however, it wouldn't attract me as an average punter, then I know that
something needs to improve.

My final point is one that I have made before: No matter how good or bad
your festival is, you must still advertise it strongly.  Whilst a lot of
the
responsibility for that falls on the current committee, us other 'old
timers' shouldn't shirk our share either.
Congratulations to Cambridge committee by the way - it was great to see an
advert for IVFDF in the Chippenham working programme - a lot of people
noticed, so well done!  It looks like its going to be a wonderful
festival.
For those of you who haven't seen 'Fiddling Around' yet, then take a tip -
the contra dance at Cambridge is going to be something special !