[IVFDF] FireStone News

Mason, Richard Richard_Mason at multilex.com
Mon Aug 13 17:56:22 BST 2001

Hi all,

if you are a regular IVFDF attendee, then you will probably have seen
FireStone performing Irish and Appalachian dance at the displays or as a
ceilidh spot in the evening ceilidh.  You might have even been to one of our
workshops - and survived !   We are difficult to miss with the brightly
coloured flame costumes and very noisy feet.

Well, after several years of street shows and performing at folk festivals
such as IVFDF and Sidmouth, we have decided to fulfil one of our original
ambitions and produce a full scale dance show.  Consequently we have booked
the Barnfield Theatre in Exeter for three nights in September this year
(Thurs 6th, Friday 7th, Saturday 8th).  We are producing a 'Lord of the
Dance' style show, with dancing woven around a storyline, and which makes
the most of our two main styles of dance - Appalachian and Irish.

We have had to do everything from scratch - from writing the story,
choreographing the dances, making the costumes, and even composing some of
the music.   With less than a month to go before the show, we are now in
full scale rehearsal mode.  With many totally new dances and extensive
changes to existing dances, we have got enough to keep us very busy.  If you
add to this 3 new sets of costumes, set design, lighting, sound, publicity
etc etc, then you would not be surprised to find very harassed looks of any
of the team that you might bump into!

We are also taking quite a big financial gamble, as all this does cost a bit
- in fact a very big bit !!  We asked the local Arts Council for a bit of
funding, but they effectively told us not to be so stupid, but to put on the
show for 1 night in a much smaller venue.  However it was the Barnfield
Theatre that we really wanted - with 280 seats each having a great view, it
was too good to turn down.  So the Arts Council attitude just made us more
determined to carry on.

This is where we need everyone's help.  We need to sell as many tickets as
we can.  We are advertising very extensively locally, but are also aware
that we have quite a few people travelling from all over the country to see
the show.  If you, or anyone you know would be interested in coming, then
that would be great.  Even if you can't get here, but have friends or
relations in the area, then do pass the details on.

Tickets are only £5.00
If you want more info (or hopefully tickets!)  then please do email or phone
me.
My contact details are as follows:  01392 411434 (evening),   01392 456130
(work),  07900 588713 (everywhere else)