[ivfdf-news] IVFDF 2007

Seonaid Anderson seonaid.gent at talk21.com
Tue Feb 21 08:20:29 GMT 2006

As Cambridge did last year, we are making the IVFDF 2007 progress report available in advance, so that you can all have a good read, and we don’t need to spend too much time reading it in Cambridge.  There will be a limited number of paper copies available at the Reps Meeting.

We hope this provides you with enough information to confirm us as the Committee to organise IVFDF 2007.

See you at IVFDF 2006.

IVFDF 2007 PROGRESS REPORT, IVFDF 2006

Budget

Waged tickets have a small increase, while unwaged tickets remain at 2005 prices (ie £22/£13 before 31/1, £24/£15 on the door).

Other prices are broadly in line with previous festivals.

We have taken the usual Scottish approach of budgeting for very low numbers, but planning for quite large numbers, so hopefully we should be covered.  We are budgeting on 300 weekend tickets (plus 50 steward tickets), with an extra 50 people on the Saturday evening.

We are also expecting funding from the RSCDS of at least £350, and are in the process of submitting an application to Awards for All for up to £4,000 (although we have not budgeted on getting this).

Overall we have budgeted for £6,500 of ticket revenue, and hope to gain a further £1,000 in fundraising.

Expenditure is budgeted as follows:

£3,000: events

£1,500: venues

£1,200: licences, first aid, programmes, wristbands etc.

   £800: publicity (we have got some good free publicity agreed)

   £200: admin

All of the above figures contain an element of contingency.

Venues

We have managed to secure the Student Union (Teviot) for the full weekend, which will provide most of the venues for the Festival, at a cost of just over £1,000.  It has lots of rooms for workshops and sleeping, but isn’t huge for the big events.  It does, however, come with its own bar.

We have also booked a local community centre for the Display Ceilidh and the lovely McEwan Hall, along with a couple of other local venues for the Saturday night dances.

Events

We have decided to opt for the fairly traditional format of workshops and dances.

Our Scottish dance will be dancing to Sandy Legget who we are hoping will draw in a large number of the local (non-uni) SCD dancers.

We have booked Pepping Tom with Hugh Rippon for the Saturday night.

We are also planning on having a Swing and a Contra dance.  Negotiations are still ongoing (we’re on our 5th Contra band, but think we might be getting somewhere!)

There will be two events on the Friday night – an English ceilidh with the John Dipper Band and a Scottish one with the fabulous Andy Kain.

Negotiations are taking place with various local musicians to provide the music for the Display Ceilidh.

We have already got a provisional list of workshops and have quite a number of workshop leaders booked.  We are hoping to include a stream of non-dance related workshops (music or items like juggling skills) for those of us who are not quite so energetic as we once were!  These will be alongside 5 other streams of workshops (American, Scottish, Morris, European and one for those that don’t fit into the others!)

We are also putting ideas together for the Morris tour.  We are praying that we don’t get an England/Scotland rugby match at Murrayfield that day, but otherwise we are looking forward to an exciting tour.

Publicity

You will all see the flyer at IVFDF 2006, which will be distributed

widely.  The website (www.ivfdf2007.org) is already live and carries

basic information about the festival; it will be increased in scope over the coming months.  We have a publicity plan, including festivals to target with flyers, places for listings, local posters, press, etc. and a timetable for the above.

Our logo is found on the flyers and on our publicity t-shirts (which we’ll all be wearing as much as possible until IVFDF 2007)

We have also managed to get a couple of features in Scottish dance related magazines which should increase the local interest, and are working with the local Swing dance community to create interest there.

One area we are looking for help with is distributing flyers to folk festivals across the UK.  (You may have noticed that we don’t tend to make it to the likes of Sidmouth or Bromyard).

Stewards

We have a volunteer to co-ordinate our stewards!  Hopefully, the situation in Edinburgh should make this a much easier job than it was in St Andrews.

Organisation

IVFDF 2007 is being organized by a small, but committed group. (Well some folk reckon we should be!) Originally, we had 7 members, but one has resigned and two are currently in Japan!  However, we are roping in other people with particular expertise to help us as necessary.

Formal Committee meetings haven’t happened too often (!), but regular discussions have taken place in the pub, on e-mail and various other places.

Other stuff

We have undertaken a full risk assessment, and identified actions to

mitigate those risks.  We will have Public Liability Insurance.  We are in discussions with the police, fire brigade and local Council to ensure that they are happy with our plans – so far they have all been very supportive.

We are properly constituted.

One of our committee is a Red Cross volunteer, so our First Aid cover will be well organized.

 Summary

Overall, we believe that we are in good shape to run the festival in

2007.  It’s the first time any of our committee have had two years to organize IVFDF ;o)!  We have a good idea of what we want to happen and are well on our way to ensure that it happens.

We would like to apply for £1000 underwriting to guarantee the success

of the festival.

We look forward to seeing you all in Edinburgh for IVFDF 2007.

The IVFDF 2007 committee.