[ivfdf-news] Invitation to the 60th Anniversary Inter-Varsity Folk Dance Festival Bristol 2011

Gavin Skinner fds_gavin at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 23:49:59 GMT 2010

Hello,

The Inter-Varsity Folk Dance Festival is the UK's national student folk
festival, and the country's longest running folk festival. IVFDF has  been held
at a different university each year since the first one was  held in Leeds in
1951; in 2011 it returns to Bristol for the first time  since 1957, to celebrate
the festival's 60th Anniversary.

The festival is open to students and non-students, former students,
never-been-a students, dancers, folkies, ceilidh monsters, newies,  regulars,
anyone, everyone and you, so join us for a packed weekend of  music and dancing,
ceilidhs, workshops, sessions, dance displays, a  morris tour around the streets
of Bristol, and more!

With exactly three months to go before IVFDF Bristol 2011, we are  delighted to
announce that tickets are now available from our new  website.

http://ivfdf2011.org

The Festival will be held from the 25th -27th February 2011 in the  University
of Bristol Students' Union, located in Clifton, near the  centre of Bristol. The
festival celebrates folk music and dance from  around Britain and beyond. This
year we are proud to present a variety  of dances, workshops, talks,
performances and special events to mark the  60th anniversary of the UK's
longest-running annual folk festival.

We're hosting Ceilidhs and dances with Trinculo, The Buzzniks, The
Molecatchers, Dalriada, The Bristol Players and Tickled Pink, with  callers
including Phil Bassindale and Nick Walden.

This year we will have at least one workshop for every year that the  festival
has been running. Please check back on the website soon for a  continually
updated list of workshops.

As the festival is being organised by members of various morris sides,  we're
also expecting that the morris tour will be one of the largest  seen for some
years, with invitations already sent to current University  morris sides and a
number of former University based Morris sides who  re-uniting for the occasion,
as well as some of the finest dance sides  from the Bristol area and across the
country.

A full breakdown of ticket prices is available on the website. Until  31st
December, we are offering an earlybird price for weekend tickets of  £26 / 16
for waged / unwaged respectively. Indoor camping is available  for a further £2
per person.

We're also offering a free personalised souvenir IVFDF badge for all  weekend
ticket holders, just enter your details when you're ordering  your tickets
online and collect your badge when you arrive at the  festival in February. You
can also order your stylish and collectable  IVFDF T-shirt online and collect it
at the festival.

Stewarding application forms can also be found on the website. If you  would
like to enjoy IVFDF 2011 for FREE and get a FREE T-shirt, whilst  working for a
few hours to help the festival run as smoothly as  possible, please apply to be
a steward for the weekend!

Our website is going to be frequently updated over the next few months  so
please check back every so often to find out what's new.

You can also follow us on facebook and twitter, to hear all the latest news
first.

http://twitter.com/IVFDF2011

http://www.facebook.com/IVFDFBRISTOL2011

IVFDF Bristol 2011 are proud to announce festival sponsorship from the  English
Folk Dance and Song Society, The University of Bristol Alumni  Fund and Butcombe
Brewery. Our media sponsors are fRoots magazine, the  programme sponsors are
Hobgoblin Music and the Scottish Dance is  supported by the Royal Scottish
Country Dance Society.

Many thanks to everyone who's helped so far with setting up the festival and the
website.

We look forward to seeing you in February

Philip, Dan, Lucy, Gavin, Joe, Kate, Dylan, Hazel, Andy, Emma, Sophie, Dónal,
Maddy, and Jack.

The IVFDF Bristol 2011 committee