[ivfdf-news] IVFDF 2017 - Cambridge Update

Sally Vernon sally.vernon at empire.ucam.org
Tue Mar 31 10:39:16 BST 2015

Dear IVFDFers,

Inspired by the Great Joy and Epic Dancing that was Exeter 2015, we
retreated back to the Fens of Cambridge to Plot and Scheme...

The short version is, we have many of the things we need to run an IVFDF,
including a keen group of mostly-organised people. However, we are
currently lacking the slightly-essential thing, a place to host the
festival.

We had a meeting (minutes at the bottom of this email) and we think the
right answer is that Cambridge should provisionally offer to host IVFDF
2017, but if we can't find any promising looking venue by the end of this
summer, then we'd have to withdraw the offer. Trust me, we have a Huge
Spreadsheet with 39 possibilities on it (ending with 'Put a Giant Marquee
on the Common'), if it's do-able we'll find a way to do it :-)

(Exeter should definitely not cancel their booking until we have something
looking more like a plan!)

Hope this sounds like a good idea to Central IVFDF! If someone else out
there is plotting and scheming over 2017 let us know - it would be a shame
to duplicate effort.

[Oh, if you're reading this thinking 'I am a Cambridge person, I want to be
on their committee, why didn't they invite me?' it was a very haphazard
process mostly involving who was on the minibus together on the way home
from IVFDF and who we spoke to in pubs. We've only had one meeting so far,
if you're keen and want to be involved let me know!]

Cheers,
Sally

IVFDF 2017
'Should we do it?' meeting

18th March 2015

Present:

Hannah, Hugh, Colm, Ed, Sally, Stephanie, Paul, Peter, Annette, Ruth,
Brian, (Jonathan and Susanna)

Notes

IVFDF 2017 - it's a great idea!

We have a good group of interested people (problem is more likely to be
large committee rather than not enough people!) And could sort bands and
workshops.

The real problem would be venues. We have lots and lots of ideas of
possible venues, but no clear obvious 'we can do this and it will work'
venue.

In IVFDF 2006, we said 'yes' to IVFDF and then spent until about Easter
trying to find a workable venue.

So we think we should do the same again: - We can't guarantee we will host
IVFDF until we have a suitable venue - But we can say to central IVFDF that
we are keen, and have enough people to organise - We should try and be
clear by the end of the academic year whether there is a venue we can do it
in or not - Exeter should not cancel their booking until they hear we've
got a venue. - If there is another university interested in hosting, we'd
like to know, to avoid duplicated effort. We might be able to just
negotiate a 2017/2018 arrangement.

We discussed possible venues.

There is a google docs spreadsheet of all the venues discussed. [If you
want to see the list, let me know, but anyone with the link can edit it, so
I thought sending it round the full IVFDF mailing list was a bit Brave]:

We assigned people venues to go off and investigate. Not every venue has
someone to investigate it yet, but if all of these turn out to be duds,
then we can send people off to find more. Also if anyone is keen to get in
touch with one of the venues that isn't already being contacted, feel free
to sign up against it on the spreadsheet.

Ed's email is a good guide to the kind of questions to ask, although we
think phonecalls are often more helpful.

What are we trying to find out by 'investigating'? Generally: - Do they
sound helpful? Friendly? Keen? Like they could be armtwisted into it, but
don't really want it? - Roughly what do they have? Numbers / size of halls?
Anywhere for workshops? Anywhere to sleep? - Roughly what sort of money
would they want? - Are they available on the usual weekends? On any
weekends at all? - What would you imagine an IVFDF here would look like?
Would we just book this place? Would we need to book some other places in
conjunction with it? What other nearby places might work?

We discussed that we needed better information - budgets from previous
IVFDFs, numbers of tickets, numbers of floor campers. We think IVFDF gets
about 650-850 people.

We discussed that the precise date does not matter, but that it should be
in Lent term, and that the last weekend of February / first weekend of
March was traditional.

We discussed that it would be easier to organise with something like a wiki
and maintained documents like last time. We could get log in to Andrew's.
Maybe get Matthew to set one up. Maybe make the google group do documents.

We want another meeting Mid to late April to discuss what we've found out.
Are any of the venue options Obviously the Right One? What has central
IVFDF said? Do we need to start speaking to the second round of venues like
the University Sports Centre or the village colleges?

We decided it would be good if we had some people to organise the next
meeting. We agreed Stephanie for secretary, and Sally as interim chair
(Paul and Peter also interested, might be clearer by next meeting how this
would work best long term)